The site leak files from the government and other organisations, WikiLeaks was taken down last week following a week-long and huge distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack.
The attacks came as the whistleblower site published new information on the Trapwire surveillance system talked about by Stratfor, the United States stationed global intelligence firm that hacker collective Anonymous penetrated later last year to steal approximately five million emails.
“The emails show Stratfor’s web of informers, pay-off structure, payment-laundering techniques and psychological methods,” WikiLeaks wrote at the time
A group calling itself AntiLeaks has accepted credit for the DDoS campaign.
WikiLeaks, in a series of tweets on Friday, depicted the prolonged assault it’s facing, which also is going after its ”donation infrastructure.” The organisation said the attacks are hitting more than 10 gigabits per second, and are being sent in a way that is impossible to avoid.
“The bandwidth [being] used is so huge it is impossible to filter without specialised hardware,” the tweets said.
In reaction, WikiLeaks has produced a number of mirrored sites, but nearly all of those have also been hit offline.
WikiLeaks alleged it tried to relocate its servers to CloudFlare, a California-based start-up that specializes in DDoS protection and website quickening. However, WikiLeaks said it was rejected.